Monday, April 9

Purely for the Entertainment Value

Occassionally I like to entertain myself by looking at the website for the newspaper in Minot, ND. As many of you know, I grew up there and have the opinion that absolutely nothing interesting has ever happened in that "city". Every time I look, I am rewarded with some fabulous headline that proves my point. Today's MAIN headline: "Eighth-grader wins State Geographic Bee, to compete in nationals". Other headlines include "Minot Lions Club hosts annual German Feast" and "Roosevelt Park Zoo puts on an 'egg'citing Easter egg hunt".

Now, let's take a moment to compare those headlines to what's happening in Pittsburgh. We have "Officer shoots man downtown", "Suspect caught in abduction", and my personal favorite "UPMC headquarters moving downtown". That is my favorite for two reasons: 1)It totally explains why I have been driving downtown to go to work for the past two months every day instead of the South Side. 2)Nobody was hurt in the move (that I know of anyway). BTW, I am purposely ignoring any headlines that includes mention of a home opener featuring the baseball team that put the "uck" in suck.

Finally, let's review a real newspaper site. The New York Times is reporting "3 Executives Suspended at Student Lender" and "Iraqis Protest U.S. Occupation of Iraq". I really can't believe the NY Times hasn't picked up the Geography Bee story. They should totally be ashamed of themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment