Monday, June 11

Can You Believe It?

I took Alexis to one of her favorite parks this afternoon to play on the slides. Normally she doesn't make it past slide #1 because of how the jungle gym is set up. The stairs that she can easily climb go directly to the littlest slide, which she can do herself, and she just never manages to make it past the littlest slide to find out what else there is to behold. But today she got distracted enough to abandon the jungle gym altogether and discovered the sand/water part of the park.

She never really noticed the dolphin spraying water 20 feet because all she could do was stare at the enormous sandpit. More specifically, she stared at the three little girls playing in the sand pit. It started out with her looking at them, then looking at me, then looking at them, then back at me, all the while with an absolutely increduous look on her face. Then she suddenly started spewing a tirade in baby talk that I think can best be translated as follows:

"Oh my gawd, Mom, do you see those girls? I mean really, do you see them? They're playing in SAND, Mom. SAND! Why would anyone play in sand? Don't they know? Oh my gawd, that is so gross. I can't believe they are touching that stuff. Mom! Look at that girl. SHE'S NOT WEARING PANTS. Oh my gawd, she's going to get sand in her diaper. Oh, my. That is just not right. What is wrong with these people? Go tell them, now! I mean it, go tell them that they shouldn't play in the sand. Ech, I'm so over all of you gross kids. Let's go, Mom."

And with that, she grabbed my hand and we marched back to the slides. She looked over her shoulder a few times to make sure the gross girls were still doing what they were doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment